My name is Abbey, and there are a lot of unique things about me. First, I'm a right-brained learner. This basically means that I'm blessed with high imagination and cursed with anxiety. Second, I'm a Latter-Day Saint, who is amazed by the goodness of the Lord and all He does for me in my life. Third, I am an unschooler. The biggest lesson I learned from this education is to love learning and to pursue my passions. This blog is a collection of personal musings that will probably fall into one of these catogories. Thanks for visiting!


*All stamps courtesy of Mirz123

Thursday, December 20, 2012

My First Experience with HTML

I don't like math.  I respect it, and I respect those who understand it, but it's not my thing.  Yesterday, however, I was forced to use math to upgrade my blog (*le gasp!*)  My blog was starting to accumulate a lot of stand-alone pages, so I thought it would be nice to sort them into drop-down menus.  My mom uses Wordpress to do this on her website, but come to find out, you can't use Wordpress on Blogger.  So I turned to the ultimate resource: the Internet.  To my delight, I found many posts on how to create your own drop-down menus.  To my horror, all of the posts were about using HTML to do this.  HTML, which stands for Hyper Text Markup Language, is a kind of computer language used to tell websites what to do and how to do it (I think).  In a nutshell, it's math language.  Therefore, my reaction was:

 

Stubbornly, I continued looking for another (much simpler way) to create a drop-down menu on my blog.  But alas, I couldn't find another way.  It took a whole day to process and accept this.  Finally, I took a deep breath and sat down to try and figure it out.  At first, I was completely overwhelmed.  Seeing all the numbers, symbols, and pointless words made my head go blank.  Thankfully, the tutorial I used was simple and easy to understand.  You can find the tutorial at the blog "Home Take 2: How to Create a Drop-Down Menu In Blogger."   Somehow, someway, I began to understand what I was doing.  I could actual change the code to bring about the desired results.  I changed the color of my text, the names of my menus, and added links.  My drop-down menus are not a work of art, but I did it!  I'm so proud of myself!  Granted, I'm in no hurry to try my hand at HTML again, but it feels good knowing I can do a little bit of it (with lots of help).  If you are like me and get overwhelmed by math-y things like computer codes, then there is hope!  If I can figure out HTML, so can you!

I still don't like math...

No comments:

Post a Comment