My name is Abbey, and there are a lot of unique things about me. First, I'm a right-brained learner. This basically means that I'm blessed with high imagination and cursed with anxiety. Second, I'm a Latter-Day Saint, who is amazed by the goodness of the Lord and all He does for me in my life. Third, I am an unschooler. The biggest lesson I learned from this education is to love learning and to pursue my passions. This blog is a collection of personal musings that will probably fall into one of these catogories. Thanks for visiting!


*All stamps courtesy of Mirz123

Monday, November 12, 2012

My Childhood Dog


Last week, my childhood dog passed away.  He was old and sick, and I had to make the extremely difficult decision to have him put down.  It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to watch the life disappear from his eyes...  Ah, but this is not what this post is supposed to be about!  This post is a memorial to a wonderful pet and a forever friend.


As a child, I wasn't very social.  I was both uninterested in socializing and unsure of how to go about it.  My vivid imagination was a lot more interesting and rewarding for me to develop than my people skills.  As I grew into a teen, I wanted to fit in and have friends just like everyone else, but I struggled to do so.  I was just too different, I suppose.  Thankfully, I had a constant friend who loved me exactly for who I was: Spencer, my Golden Retriever.  My mom bought Spencer in the year 2000, and it didn't take long for him and I to become fast friends.  We went exploring in the woods together, splashing through creeks and lying in the sun together.  I was so attached to Spencer, that when Precious (our second dog) came into the picture, I was jealous of her!  I was afraid that I would lose my best friend!  But I grew to love Precious just as much, and of course, Spencer still loved me just the same.  Together, us three went on adventures in the woods and had a wonderful childhood.

I remember many nights in which I had experienced some sort of disappointment in my day.  Being a teenager was hard, and since I had pre-anxiety, it was even harder at times.  I would cry and feel completely alone.  But Spencer always knew when I was sad.  He would sit by my side and comfort me only the way a dog could.  To this day, I believe there is no greater love and loyalty in this world than what is given by a dog (sorry Ben!)

Today, I'm at a different stage in my life: I'm married and hope to have children soon.  I really don't have the time or the money to have a dog right now.  However, when Spencer passed away, I was reminded of all the precious memories that dog gave me.  I wish I could hold onto those carefree days forever...  I loved my dog, and I look forward to be reunited with him one day.  Below is a short memorial video I made in Spencer's honor.  Please take a moment to watch it, and perhaps remember that special dog (or other animal) that brought great joy to your childhood, too.

 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! And what a touching video. You need a "Do not watch if you have PMS" warning on it though. :) love you! (And Spencer too)

    ReplyDelete