My name is Abbey, and there are a lot of unique things about me. First, I'm a right-brained learner. This basically means that I'm blessed with high imagination and cursed with anxiety. Second, I'm a Latter-Day Saint, who is amazed by the goodness of the Lord and all He does for me in my life. Third, I am an unschooler. The biggest lesson I learned from this education is to love learning and to pursue my passions. This blog is a collection of personal musings that will probably fall into one of these catogories. Thanks for visiting!


*All stamps courtesy of Mirz123

Monday, October 15, 2012

Shakiest Gun In the West

Ruger P90 (so scary!)
My husband loves guns, and today, we did some shooting with his Ruger P95.  It wasn't the first time I have shot his pistol (it was my third time, to be exact), so I wasn't as anxious as I was the first time.  I was terrified of shooting guns in the beginning.  The idea of holding a device that could kill someone with the slightest pull of the trigger...it scared me.  My greatest anxiety scenarios usually involve bad guys with guns, so I got anxious just at the mention of guns.  In fact, gun ownership was a great cause of contention during our engagement.  :)  But my husband, being the stalwart man he is, wanted to make sure I knew how to use his Ruger in case I ever needed to defend myself at home while he was gone.
Marlin model 60 (so fun!)
I started out by shooting Ben's Marlin model 60, a varmint rife, which was less powerful.  It almost felt like using a toy, so I did not feel anxious using it.  It's just that doggone pistol that scares the poo out of me!  I'm not as anxious as I was in the beginning, but I still get anxious, trust me.  My hands shake when I hold it, my shoulders get tense, and I always close my eye when I pull the trigger (not on purpose, mind you.  It makes for bad marksmanship, but I can't help it!)  The recoil feels like the pistol is going to either buck out of my hands or knock me off of my feet.  And once I pinched my hand really hard when I cocked it.  That gun is scary!

Despite my anxiety, however, I continue to practice shooting with my husband.  I can usually only last a few rounds, but today, I shot three rounds.  Thirty bullets; that's a record for me!  I'm proud to say that I know how to shoot, and I'm pretty good at it, too.  I'll still always be anxious when I shoot, but it's important for me to face my fears and push my limits.  My husband is proud of my progress, although he still wants me to keep working towards proficiency (Ben = "honey, let's have you practice cocking the pistol a few times, alright?"  Me = "I don't wanna!")  I'll continue learning how to shoot, because I refuse to let anxiety dictate what I can and can't do, and that's a habit I want to uphold throughout my life.  Below are some pictures of me shooting like a boss.  ;)

I got my eyes on the enemy...

Stop closing your eyes, girl!  You're freaking me out!
The purple marker highlights the bullet holes.  Yay, I killed the creeper!  :D

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I want to learn. I have only shot a gun once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are great! David and I have been wanting to do this as a date for a long time. This gives me a little more inspiration to actually go!

    ReplyDelete