My name is Abbey, and there are a lot of unique things about me. First, I'm a right-brained learner. This basically means that I'm blessed with high imagination and cursed with anxiety. Second, I'm a Latter-Day Saint, who is amazed by the goodness of the Lord and all He does for me in my life. Third, I am an unschooler. The biggest lesson I learned from this education is to love learning and to pursue my passions. This blog is a collection of personal musings that will probably fall into one of these catogories. Thanks for visiting!


*All stamps courtesy of Mirz123

Monday, February 6, 2012

Songs Have Color

One of the unique and strange things about me is that whenever I listen to a song, a color pops into my head. It's not a conscious thing; it just happens. The color isn't the main thought at the forefront of my brain; it's more like a backdrop, like a desktop wallpaper. At this time, there is no rhyme or reason to these colors, but to me, the color/song match-ups just make sense. Below are some examples:


"Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" by Reo Speedwagon.
A lovely blend of pink and sky blue.












My song colors are rarely just a solid color, or even a single color. They move and flow with the music, fast or slow, depending on the beat. I'm using desktop wallpaper to give the most accurate example I can. :)


"Bad" by Michael Jackson.
Orange and red mixed.
















"Poker Face" by Lady Gaga.
Black with a mix of violet.














Club songs usually have a black base to it with brighter colors that flash across the "screen." "Poker Face" consists of mainly purple, but some songs, like "You Make Me Feel" by Cobra Starship, is a cacophony of rainbow lines that flash and twirl.


"Halo" by Beyonce.
Different shades of orange.














Along with the different shades of orange, there is a touch of "sunlight" in this song.


An interesting fact about colors and classical music! Classical pieces, like from Beethoven, do not stay one color. In fact, classical music changes so quickly, it's really hard for my brain to keep track of what color it is! One day, while my dad was listening to classical music on the radio, he asked me what color it was in my head. In a matter of a few seconds, it went from navy blue, to cream with brown lines, to hot red! I believe this occurred because classical music is much more complex and sophisticated than your average song. It's kind of cool. :)

I believe I have a song/color connection because of my creative mind. What appears in your mind when you listen to music? Who knows what kind of mental images something as powerful as music can evoke.

3 comments:

  1. This phenomenon has a name: synesthesia

    I know other ppl that have it and it is realy cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! It's nice to hear that other people enjoy this as much as I do. :)

      Delete