My name is Abbey, and there are a lot of unique things about me. First, I'm a right-brained learner. This basically means that I'm blessed with high imagination and cursed with anxiety. Second, I'm a Latter-Day Saint, who is amazed by the goodness of the Lord and all He does for me in my life. Third, I am an unschooler. The biggest lesson I learned from this education is to love learning and to pursue my passions. This blog is a collection of personal musings that will probably fall into one of these catogories. Thanks for visiting!


*All stamps courtesy of Mirz123

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Unconditional - In Pokemon and Life

Several months ago, I wrote a post about PETA's anti-Pokemon campaign.  On the one hand, I thought it was utter nonsense.  On the other hand, it got me thinking.  One of the things that has always frustrated me about Pokemon is that if you want to be a "professional trainer," there are only a handful of Pokemon that are strong enough to use on a professional level.  There are over 500 Pokemon now, and roughly, only 30 Pokemon are "good enough" to be on professional teams.  Therefore, when I look at top-level Pokemon tournaments, I see the same Pokemon used again and again.  How sad is that?  Blinded by their ambition to win, people miss out on raising all of the other Pokemon and experiencing their unique strengths and weaknesses.  Then it hit me: I'm one of those people.  I was so caught up in raising the strongest Pokemon that I was ignoring all of the other "weaker" Pokemon.  What's more, I stressed over the entire process, worrying that I would mess up or invest in the wrong Pokemon.  I was doing exactly what I was accusing other people of doing.  So I erased my Pokemon game and started over with a change of heart.  This time, I took the time to raise each and every Pokemon with love and care.  It didn't matter if they were weak, or had unfavorable stats, or had "Run Away" as their ability.  I raised each Pokemon unconditionally.  I have raised 190 Pokemon so far, and I'm loving it!  Each Pokemon is so special with their own personality and talents.  I'm so happy I was able to break away from my former mindset.  Otherwise, I would never been able to experience so much, well, happiness.  Whoever thought that a simple little change could make a video game so much fun?
Image by Hhell
The concept of living unconditionally is something I have been working on ever since I developed anxiety.  I was plagued by so many perceptions and expectations that I missed out on all of the beauty and wonder in the world around me.  I was also haunted by guilt from the past and fear of the future.  It was only when I learned to live in the present that I recognized that every moment is a priceless gift that can be mine to enjoy.  Living unconditionally is a work in progress, and I certainly can't be unconditional all the time (as it is, perfectionism has no place in unconditional living, anyway).  I could go on and on about how living unconditionally has changed my life, but that would take a long time.  I'll touch on some of the finer points in other posts.  I just wanted to share how living unconditionally has helped me be a happier person, even in the video games I play.  This is a philosophy that I will continue to develop and nurture as I go through life.  'Cause, let's face it, life is about finding happiness.  A lot of people go about it the wrong way, though.  They chase after money, or fame, or achievement trying to get it, but the secret to happiness is in your grasp, right here, right now.  It's that simple.  All you have to do is embrace it, unconditionally.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Cute Snoopy! And a great analogy to shifting perspective from perfectionism and competition to happiness and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete